Food E Numbers & Food Additives: Useful Information
The ‘E’ on E numbers on a food label stands for ‘Europe’. Food E Numbers are a set of codes for substances used as food additives. Commonly found on food labels, their safety assessment and approval are the responsibility of Regulatory Authorities
Having a single unified list for food additives was first agreed upon in 1962 with food colouring. In 1964, the directives for preservatives were added, in 1970 antioxidants were added, in 1974 emulsifiers, stabilisers, thickeners, and gelling agents were added as well.
- E100–E199: Colours
- E200–E299: Preservatives
- E300–E399 (antioxidants, acidity regulators)
- E400–E499 (thickeners, stabilisers, emulsifiers)
- E500–E599 (acidity regulators, anti-caking agents)
- E600–E699 (flavour enhancer)
- E700–E799 (antibiotics)
- E900–E999 (glazing agents, gases and sweeteners)
- E1000–E1599 (additional additives)
Search for Food Additives by Number
Search for Food Additives by Alphabet
Identifying Food Additives – MPI
Information about Chemicals in Food
Food Safe offers food safety training that includes food labels as part of its training content.
Food Safe’s Training:
- Complements compliance requirements
- Is simplified and visual, and supportive of implementing learning back on-job
- Is delivered by a trained ISO 9001 & 22000 lead auditor
- It is delivered by a trainer with first-hand knowledge and experience in high compliance operations where Food Safe also operates, such as the meat, dairy, and seafood sector. This allows us to transfer best practices.
Companies & Brands Food Safe works with:
- Food Safe Ltd is Accredited by the New Zealand Government + is a Category 1 NZQA-Registered PTE. Training complies with Codex Guidelines.
- Our training is trusted by both well known New Zealand and Global food companies and heaps of small teams too!
- Our training is science-based on New Zealand regulatory and globally recognised best practice including – MPI, FAO, FDA, EU
- Food Safe’s advisory committee includes leading experts, quality and compliance managers, and governance experts. For even more information about Food Safe and the companies we work with, click here