Basic Food Safety
This course is approved by all New Zealand Councils and Verifiers, and certification auditors globally. Expert-led basic food safety and hygiene course by NZQA Registered PTE.
About our Food Safety Course
Our Basic Food Safety Certificate Training Course is designed for:
- Small and large food businesses
- New and existing food home-businesses
- Early childcare centre service and ECE cooks
- Healthcare services
- Community & charity groups
- Aged Care services and hospitals
- Cafes and restaurants
- Mobile food trucks and trailers
- Food companies
- Any person or workplace handling food
Our food safety course is approved by all Councils and Verifiers and delivered by an NZQA-Registered PTE with New Zealand Government Accreditation.
This Basic Food Safety and Hygiene Certificate Course is also known as Food Handling Certificate NZ, Food Hygiene Certificate, Food Handlers Certificate, Food Certificate NZ, Food Hygiene Certificate NZ, and Food Safety and Hygiene Certificate. We also include bonus content by way of a basic understanding to HACCP.
- Course Duration: 5 hours
- Course Delivery: LIVE Online Video Conference Training and Onsite Training Options available
- Outcome: Recognised Certificate of Achievement after successful completion of the assessment
Our training is customized for any person, and small and large food businesses that require learning about food safety methods and food safety controls. We aim to operate to best food safety practices as part of the Food Act 2014, Food Regulations 2015, and local council Bylaws around New Zealand and international Codex Alimentarius global standards,
Basic Food Safety Certificate
Training Course Content
- Knowledge of basic food safety and why this course is an investment
- Answers to questions such as: Can I cook food from home for sale? What does a verifier look for when auditing me? What does jargon such as a “Level 2 National Programme FCP” mean?
- Information on effective personal hygiene including COVID-19 controls to avoid food handling hazards, and assessment of handwashing techniques at training
- An understanding of the science of allergic reactions, immune response, and food intolerance.
- Knowledge of the primary allergen groups (applicable worldwide) and implementing an allergen identification list for a Food Control Plan
- Effective allergen management tools in a food business such as labelling and cleaning.
- Learning key HACCP training NZ temperatures to global standards including both Celsius (°C) and Fahrenheit (°F), and recording temperature of high-risk food. This training has been used by our trainees around the world.
- Knowledge of hazards that cause foodborne illness and food spoilage in a food business including pathogenic bacteria, mould, and viruses
- Knowledge of methods used to control hazards that cause foodborne illness and food spoilage in a food business.
- Identifying common examples of food safety risks
- Pest control methods and how to control pests
- Criteria for verifier inspections and audit checklists
- Overview of legislation including the Food Standards Code 2002, Food Act 2014, Food Regulations and how the law applies to a workplace or food business
- Knowledge of the key elements of a Food Control Plan – FCP + 3 Step Corrective Action – Codex Alimentarius
- Practice filling out key food safety records – Food Control Plan Diary
- Gain insights into Council and Verifier Audits, and how to achieve an A Grade Council Audit
- Extra research and microbiology information based on our MOC with AUT University – School of Applied Sciences.
Why Choose us for your Food Safety Certificate Training?
- We have collaborated and delivered food safety and hygiene certification training for a number of performance-fuelled organizations and global brands.
- The topics we cover and the information we provide on food safety is the very latest.
- Students gain knowledge and learn in an engaging and interactive environment
- Our course presentation style suits all learner types. We use slides, pictures, and a show-me-how approach to our food safety training.
- Food Safe Trainers are industry experts with Lead Audit ISO 22000 qualifications and have extensive practical experience in high-compliance food manufacture, which we bring to the classroom.
HOW IT WORKS: Steps to Book Your Course
Yes. At the completion of your training, your trainer will give you an assessment, covering food safety topics, to complete. This assessment requires no typing or writing for you to do. Only yes/no, tick box type of answers. You have to achieve 70% to pass your assessment and to receive your food safety course certification.
As long as participants are attentive in class and are taking notes along the way, the assessment is not hard. Participants may refer to their notes during the open-book assessment.
People who pass the course will receive a Food Safety Certificate of Achievement, on the day of the training, on successful completion of the assessment.
Your trainer will ask students who don’t pass [Not Yet Achieved] to take the assessment again. You can take the assessment as many times as you like. You will not be charged anything additional for taking the assessment again.
No prior knowledge or homework is required. Your trainer will coach you about food safety methods and food safety risk controls including record-keeping and other relevant food safety topics and information in class.
Our trainees have applied for roles in Cafes, Supermarkets, Childcare centres, Hospitals, Food Companies, Community Centres, Maraes, School Cafeterias, and Aged Care facilities. A number of our trainees have also set up their own successful home food businesses.